Saturday, October 24, 2015

Knock Your Socks Off

More than a decade ago Jonathan Pendragon created one of my favorite card tricks. He called it "The World's Greatest Feet Of Magic."

EFFECT: A card is freely selected and shuffled into the deck. Suddenly the Magician springs the cards into the air, kicks up his foot, and catches the chosen card in mid-air between his toes!

I have amazed close-up audiences with this for many years. Spectators are shocked and thrilled when I catch their card between my toes. But eventually someone will ask the inevitable question, "When did you take your sock and shoe off?"

Usually I replied, "It must have been when you weren't looking." or some other snide remark. One time I blurted, "They must have flown off." As soon as those words parted my lips, bells went off in my head. Why not have my shoe and sock "fly off" when I catch the card?

It doesn't get much crazier than to have cards fly through the air, catch the chosen card between your toes, and end up with your sock and shoe on the dinner table!

The video shows the ending of the effect with the sock and shoe toss repeated in slow motion. It does not show how the chosen card is controlled, palmed out, and placed between the toes. For those details along with Johathan's original presentation I recommend that you purchase Magic of the Pendragons #3 to learn "The World's Greatest Feet Of Magic" along with other effects by the Pendragons.

My "Knock Your Socks Off" version of the effect should be performed while seated. Before the card is selected prepare by removing your shoe and sock and putting them in your lap.

Later under cover of springing the deck into the air take them from your lap, toss them onto the table, and in the same continuous motion point to the card between your toes.

Sit back and savor the moment when the dust settles and everyone realizes that not only did you catch the card between your toes, but your shoe and sock flew off and landed on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment